In late December, the construction team responsible for the Southwest Airlines Wings aviation project was honored with an industry award.
McCarthy Building Companies Inc. took home the prize for the 2019 Distinguished Building Award presented by the Construction Industry Association/TEXO. This project beat out competition from other massive projects, competing the category of buildings with construction costs in excess of $75 million.
Criteria for the award included:
- Difficulty in construction
- Original construction techniques involved
- Final appearance
- Quality of the finished product
- Timeliness of the project’s completion
RWB is proud to be a part of the design team for this award-winning aviation project.
About the Project: SWA Wings Complex
Southwest Airlines recently built a new, 865,000 square foot building complex just southwest of the Dallas Love-Field Airport. This enormous multi-building facility includes several unique features, including:
- Four-story Flight Training Center to improve and expand pilot training
- Six-story office facility including modern amenities and layout for SWA employees
- A 1950-space parking garage for plenty of capacity
- A pedestrian sky bridge spanning 400 feet connecting the new building to the existing SWA campus
The project broke ground in spring 2016. Construction was completed two years later in spring 2018.
RWB Consulting Engineers: MEP Engineering for Award-Winning Aviation Projects
At RWB, one of our core areas of expertise is aviation projects, including flight training academies, flight simulators, airports, office buildings , and hangars. Because of our long history with the airline industry, we are well-versed in every airline’s standard of engineering design and construction.
We treat every air transportation project with the same level of accuracy, detail, and attention required to win awards. If you would like to speak with one of our principals about your next aviation project, please contact us .